Savour the tranquility away from the ski slopes
A hike in winter offers unforgettable appeal and experiences - walking on snowshoes through the snowy forests and over the tranquil alpine landscape is simply stunning - white-covered nature under your feet, the peaks high up above. As if carried by big paws, you keep walking steadily over the snow cover. Walking in winter is an ideal alternative to the hustle and bustle on the ski slopes, especially on a family winter holiday. The Hotel Alte Post would not be a hiking hotel, if we didn't go hiking in winter too: we offer 2 - 4 guided snowshoe hikes with the hotel owner Toni Knapp per week.
Snowshoeing with Toni Knapp
Weekly tours & tips for snowshoe walks
We don't abstain from walking in the winter. Our hotel owner Toni accompanies guests on guided snowshoe walks to scenic spots in Grossarl.
- Walking time: approx. 2 - 3 hours
- Booking and information: at the hotel reception
- The heavier the person, the bigger the contact surface of the snowshoe required, snowshoes should be light, yet sturdy.
- Anke-high mountain or walking boots are suitable shoes, they should be waterproof and permeable.
- Clothing should be permeable, as many a tour in deep snow terrain can be sweaty.
- Walking poles with basket are perfectly suitable. However, special snow and nordic walking poles are even better as they allow the necessary absorption of the arm joints.
- Start off on guided tours. However, no particular training or skills are required. Anyone who can walk can also snowshoe. Good physical conditions is advantageous.
- When you're alone in deep-snow terrain please consider animals, which need their peace and quiet in winter. Protect yourself against avalanches by planning your tour thoroughly and taking necessary equipment such as avalanche receiver with you. We are on hand to give you useful tips and information.