Why hike? Because there are more mountains than hashtags!
“Satisfied guests are all very well – our aim is to inspire our guests.“ With this motto here at the hiking hotel Alte Post we do our utmost to offer our guests a wonderful and unforgettable holiday. Genuine hospitality in a welcoming atmosphere with personal service and creative cuisine. Our hotel in Grossarl in Salzburger Land is currently being run by the 4th generation of our family. Arrive, feel at home, go hiking with each other and savour nature step by step – that’s what we would like to offer you on your summer or winter holiday.
The history of our hiking hotel
From the Unterbacken Inn to the 4 star Hotel Alte Post
- The Alte Post in Grossarl was first mentioned in the 15th century. The house held a Maria-Theresia business license for bakers, thus the name Unterbacken Wirtshaus.
- In 1920 our great-grandparents Josef und Anna Knapp came from St. Lorenzen in the South Tyrol to Grossarl. They bought the inn and the accompanying farm.
- Until 1927 the post was transported to St. Johann by stage coach. The horses were stabled here, thus the name “Alte Post“.
- In 1957 our grandparents took over the business and in 1990 our parents Toni and Maria Knapp.
- The 4th generation of our family currently runs the Alte Post with lots of love and passion as a traditional family-run business in Grossarl.
The history of Grossarl
- The Grossarl Valley in Salzburger Land looks back on an ancient settlement history.
- Settlement in the resort of Grossarl took place at the same time of the whole valley. The Arl-Scharte was originally one of the most important north-south routes through the mountains in Pongau.
- By the 17th century the hamlet with church, grocer’s shop and inn had developed into a respectable market village. Due to the flourishing mining industry affluence gradually prospered. Grand houses were built on the village square, which primarily belonged to business people (shoemaker, blacksmith, tailor etc.)
- From 1960 the valley was made accessible by transport.
- On 23.05.1962 the Salzburg Provincial Government officially pronounced Grossarl a market town. On the same day Grossarl obtained its coat of arms.
- At the beginning of the 1970’s tourism started to make it way into the Grossarl Valley, which brought with it a general economic upswing.